Workshop: Exchange Rate Regimes in Developing Countries
Within the context of the DAAD Partnership on Economic Development Studies, HTW Berlin is organizing this four-day workshop between June 18 and 20, 2013.
Sessions should be held to discuss exchange rate regimes in developing countries. Some of the main questions that should be discussed are the following: is there a better performing exchange rate regime for all developing countries? Which exchange rate regimes are more prone to currency crises? What is the relevance of exchange rate regimes for economic growth? Can developing countries really float their currencies?
This workshop will be held to bring together academics, students and policymakers, both from the South and the North, which shall discuss papers focused on:
- The determinants of currency crises.
- The link between the real exchange rate and economic growth.
- The relationship of exchange rate policy and monetary policy.
- Country experiences with managed floating and intermediate exchange rate regimes.
- Depreciation of exchange rates and pass-through effects.
- What is the optimal exchange rate regime for least developed countries?
- Regional currency union projects in the developing world.
- Experience in free floating regimes in emerging economies.
- Existence of systematic overvaluation of developing countries' exchange rates.
- Global monetary reforms.
Nevertheless, papers on topics not mentioned here but related to issues concerning exchange rates are also welcome.
Papers presented may be published within the Berlin Working Papers on Money, Finance, Trade and Development after a reviewing process. It will be appreciated if the full paper (draft) can be submitted by June 1, 2013, in order to be uploaded to the workshops homepage.
If you are interested in attending the workshop, please send an email to marquez(at)htw-berlin.de. Attendance is free of charge. However, it is recommended to register as soon as possible due to space limitations.
Prof. Dr. Sebastian Dullien and Prof. Dr. Jan Priewe, Partnership Directors at HTW Berlin.